SELFIES IN CHRONICLE: AN EXERCISE IN NARCISSISM AND BANGS/HAIR DYE
a young woman's joirney
- •This is what my hair looked like 2 summers ago.No bangs. No color. Yes flyaways. Yes tan. (I miss you, tan.)
- •And then I cut it.Tbh: I might shoulda stopped here. This is my husband. We selfie together pretty well. And he doesn't mind his wife looking like a tool in pictures.
- •And then the bangs. I began getting bangs every fall.My cabbie thought I was such a narcissist. This was prob take 67.
- •OH, BANGS.They get thicker every time I go for a trim. "Maybe just a little heavier? Bring more in from the back or the sides or?????"
- •and then the spring ends and the bangs get longer bc I won't wear them in the summer and I start parting themI can't do this anymore. They just don't lie right.
- •summertime = goodbye bangs.Thank you, Lilly Pulitzer head wrap.
- •and then, last summer, we started taking big steps.this was my pink-and-gold dye job. I cried after taking this selfie I was so freaked.
- •MORE big steps.This was the ash-blonde-and-magenta dye job. I liked it better. Did not cry after this one. (Was feeling 22 at the moment, tbh. Sorry for the blatantly narcissistic display.)
- •but then it faded. Things got real brassy.I wore a lot of hats.
- •So.....I chopped it.
- •And then September rolled around and we're still banging, 6 months into cool weather.tbh I miss my purple hair and also my long hair and also my solid brown hair.
- •This has been an exercise in self-indulgence. Fin.