Already on li.st? Open in app.
I started writing about The Black Cinema Challenge last summer. The challenge is inspired by an article in The Paris Review that quotes (I'm paraphrasing) Spike Lee questioning the validity of a Black Film Festival when, according to him, black Americans don't support mainstream black cinema. Clearly flawed logic on his part. Here are the rules:
- •A black film is a film...
- •Written by a black person
- •Has a majority/main cast of black actors and actresses
I've been trying to keep positive but frankly just don't know what to do.
- •My husband doesn't think we are equals
- •I'm not sure if I feel that we are equals
- •When we met, nine years ago, I was 20 and he was 6 years older.
Live listing this movie
- •The judge is racist. He hates Roma people for absolutely no reason.
- •The first scene was so absolutely anti-immigration. Quasimodo's mom and her friends (a band of gypsies) are trying to make safe passage into Paris when they are accosted by the Judge. Quasimodo's mother is killed trying to flee.
- •Esmeralda speaks truths
This is a difficult list to make but I'll try
- •Forrest Gump
- •Pisces - specifically, February Pisces. March Pisces are okay.
- •Cancer - all types
- •My boss was fired. It really sucks but she wasn't a good fit for the team. So hard times will come but hopefully they'll get better -- eventually.
- •Finally feel committed to a book. I started reading Chosen Exile and Zelda Fitzgerlad's biography. Both are really good.
- •Went to an amazing jazz spot in Harlem. Can't quite call it a bar because they don't serve any liquor - including wine - but it is amazing! Sort of reflects on the books that I'm currently reading. All the cool stuff happens uptown. Yes, I'm with a bunch of white people. In fact, I'm the only person of color.
I'll try to do this everyday to stay positive
- •I worked from home for part of the day
- •I got a full nights rest
- •I had a playful morning with my husband. We laughed, kissed, danced, had coffee. He even told an incredibly slow story that I half listened to. Still happy we got to spend time together.
I may have learned these things accompanied but for some reason my learning vibes seem more receptive when alone.
- •Mary Church Terrell was the first African American woman to receive a college degree. She earned a degree in classics from Oberlin. I feel like I might have known this fact before but for whatever reason it was lost on me.
- •The Whitney has an exhibit on the eighth floor about the Jazz Age featuring a black modernist painter, AJ Motley Jr. Mostly "struggle" art but still very moving. Also serendipitous that I saw this exhibit given the NYT feature article about black artist this morning.
- •I want to study art history more than ever.
Season 5, Episode 6
- 1.E.O.G. - Early Onset Grumpiness. It is a real thing and I think my husband has it.
- 2.Some stores sell "jeans" and some stores sell "denim".
- 3.Matt Groening has been working on The Simpsons for 26 years.
- 4.Skanking is ska dancing.