My Favourite Quotes From My Favourite Books
I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS LIST, @vmacies !
- •"I have dreamt in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind. And this is one: I'm going to tell it - but take care not to smile at any part of it. "Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte.
- •He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte.
- •Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. For some they come in with the tide. For others they sail forever on the horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time.Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston.
- •I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.the Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald.
- •Who are you?” asked Shasta. “Myself,” said the Voice, very deep and low so that the earth shook: and again “Myself,” loud and clear and gay: and then the third time “Myself,” whispered so softly you could hardly hear it, and yet it seemed to come from all around you as if the leaves rustled with it.The Horse and His Boy, C.S. Lewis.
- •Jane, be still; don't struggle so like a wild, frantic bird, that is rending its own plumage in its desperation." "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being, with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
- •"And presently I was driving through the drizzle of the dying day, with the windshield wipers in full action but unable to cope with my tears."Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
- •✨✨This is the section where I exclusively quote "Shopgirl" by Steve Martin... Because it's EXTREMELY underrated. ✨✨Please skip ahead if you don't have time. I could be here all day.
- •"He never complicates a desire by overthinking it, unlike Mirabelle, who spins a cocoon around an idea until it is immobile."
- •"For a while, Mirabelle believes there will be a moment when he will cave in and let himself love her, but eventually she lets the idea go. She hits bottom. She dwells in the muck for several months, not depressed exactly, but involved in a mourning that at first she thinks is for Ray but soon realizes is for the loss of her old self."Like... Damn.
- •"Only then does he realize what he has done to Mirabelle, how wanting a square inch of her and not all of her has damaged them both, and how he cannot justify his actions except that, well, it was life."
- •"How is it possible to miss a woman whom you kept at a distance, so that when she was gone you would not miss her?"
- •This quote that kills me....In spite of her depression, Mirabelle likes to think of herself as humourous. She can, when the occasion calls, become a wisecracker and buoyant party girl. This mood, Mirabelle thinks, sometimes makes her the centre of attention at parties and gatherings. The truth is that these episodes of gaiety merely raise her to normal, but for Mirabelle the feeling is so exceptional that she believes herself to be standing out.
- •Mirabelle is not sparkling tonight, because she works only in gears, and tonight she is in the wrong gear. Third gear is her scholarly, perspicacious, witty self; second gear is her happy, giddy, childish self; and first gear is her complaining, helpless, unmotivated self. Tonight she is somewhere midshift, between helpless and childish.
- •To Mirabelle, the idea of being an object of obsession is alluring and represents a powerful love. She fails to understand, however, that men become obsessive over beautiful women because they want no one else to have them, but they fall in love with women like Mirabelle because they want a certain, specific part of them.
- •You're welcome. But most importantly thank you @vmacies for letting me gush about words.