10 THINGS I'VE LEARNED ON LIST
What an awesome request. 😊
- 1.That I am still creative.I haven't written much in a very long time, and this page made me realize how much I missed it. I have written lists, certainly, but also what are essentially essays and some poetry, which I haven't done in years. And it's not just writing. Being here has made me feel more creative in all aspects of my life.
- 2.That I can be extroverted in an introverted way.I think the whole of the internet allows this, but for me, this is where I feel more myself than anywhere else. I once told a friend that this place is where I unzip my head and let the contents spill out. I can't even begin to tell you how invaluable that has been to me.
- 3.That I have a distinctive voice.Until people started commenting about things I've written, I never truly realized that my writing had a unique "voice" to it, its own style. I was just writing the way I think or the way I speak with no thought that what I was writing was different in anyway from anyone else.
- 4.That age doesn't mean a damn thing.I love that I am connected to people here of all different ages, and most of the time, I wouldn't be able to tell at all unless someone actually says it. We are all just us.
- 5.That where I'm from means everything and nothing.Much like the age, I have found that oftentimes, it has made no difference at all that I'm from a tiny town in Kansas, that my dreams and desires and interests are not unlike people here from faraway cities and countries. But I can also see that it has shaped me in ways I haven't even noticed.
- 6.That I am mostly an off the cuff writer.While I am an Android user and still have access to drafts, the truth is, I have rarely ever used them. I tend to sit down, write, and publish - all in one fell swoop. I didn't realize what an oddity that apparently is until everyone started discussing their writing process when drafts went away.
- 7.That no matter the time of night or day, someone will be here.I have posted things at 3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, and there is nearly always a pretty immediate response. That's a nice feeling when it's 3:47 am and you're in the middle of an existential crisis and you've never felt more alone in your life.
- 8.That I complain a lot.At least I feel like I do here. I think I complain here because I tend to swallow it all in my real life. So sorry for all of the whiny bitching! Just know you are doing a great service for the people I associate with on a daily basis.
- 9.That I will never feel like one of the cool kids. But that's okay.I will fully admit that in the beginning, it was about likes and trending and getting noticed. I want to be a Li.st cool kid. But somewhere along the way, I stopped caring. As I got to know more people in a personal way, it became more about reading what they were writing and about creating for myself. This has become more of a journal for me than anything, and I love that. This is 100% me. And I don't know that I can say that about many things I do.
- 10.That total strangers really can change your (or your child's) life.This incredible group of people, who have never once met me, who have certainly never met my kids - you saved my son's life. I know there were other factors, but those cards... Those were special. Those made a true and lasting impact in my whole family, and I will be forever grateful and have love in my heart for this community of strangers who became my friends.