CAN WE ALL AGREE THE WORD "BOYFRIEND" IS AWFUL (Take 2)
As a grown woman, I HATE that word. It feels juvenile and odd to use it as an adult, and there's got to be a better way to describe the man I'm dating, but I've yet to come across something that feels right. Let's explore the alternatives.
- •MY MANEw. Just... No.
- •MY SIGNIFICANT OTHER ( S.O.)This implies a level of seriousness that we are not at right now. It makes it sound like we've been together forever and the only thing we're missing is a marriage certificate. Nooooo. Nope. No. Plus, it's a bit of a mouthful.
- •MY PARTNERSee above. Less clunky, but still a no.
- •MY BOO/BAE/BABY/ETC.Did I mention I'm an adult? No.
- •THE MAN I'VE BEEN DATING FOR SEVERAL MONTHS THAT MAY BE A PERMANENT PERSON IN MY LIFE BUT MAY NOT AND WE'RE FIGURING THAT OUT BY DATING EXCLUSIVELY BUT ARE TAKING IT SLOWLY BECAUSE I HAVE A FEAR OF COMMITMENT DUE TO A BAD RELATIONSHIP IN MY PAST THAT HAS GIVEN ME TRUST ISSUESRolls off the tongue, doesn't it?
- •I'm open to ideas. Anybody got any?