MY GO-TO KARAOKE SONGS
In related news: if you haven't sung karaoke at Palm Tree in Koreatown, you haven't lived. DO IT. (Bonus points if you go to Korean BBQ dinner somewhere nearby. Makes for a really fun -- and thematically consistent -- night out!)
- •HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT by Pat BenatarMy best rendition was in a bar in Utah, ostensibly singing to 'the crowd' but actually just making prolonged eye contact with this dude on whom I had a massive crush. Having high stakes and a clear intention really makes this song work.
- •ALONE by HeartA strong choice mid-way through the night. Too soon and you're flat. Too late and you're screechy. Epic if it goes right. Maybe practice this one while driving in your car alone (see what I did there?).
- •CREEP by RadioheadIt's sad and intoxicating. I promise everyone in the room will sing that high note with you 🎶 and they'll most likely close their eyes and lose themselves in that moment, which is pretty beautiful, even in a setting as ridiculous as karaoke.
- •WHAT'S UP by 4 Non BlondesOnly as a duet with a spirited partner. It's a very long song, and you need a good teammate to see it through.
- •WE BUILT THIS CITY by Jefferson StarshipMarconi plays the mamba! What more do you need??
- •SUMMER NIGHTS by John Travolta & Olivia Newton-JohnAs with all classics, this one requires you to add your own spin. Otherwise it's obvious and boring. Be subversive! Switch genders. Role play. Do dance moves. Fun for the group. Total crowd pleaser.
- •WE BELONG by Pat BenatarDuet, obvi. Harmonies, obvi. Ideally a third person on tambourine.
- •MORE THAN WORDS by ExtremeShould be performed seated, as if playing an acoustic guitar & brushing away errant strands of late 80s rock ballad mane. That visual should get you in the right mood. Your choice of partner can make or break this one. It's intimate, so be ready for that. And you have to be kind of earnest. Scary! You can only comment on those parts of the song that truly call for it (e.g. "Hold me close, don't ever let me go"). If you don't know what I mean, listen to the original.
- •CRIMINAL by Fiona AppleSo. Hot. And a pretty friendly vocal range I think, though I am not an expert (@jansonebwoodlee?) Channel that video. Get all the feels out! And if everything is about sex except sex, which is about power, then this song is very much about power, which is a fun topic to explore in the Shakespearean green world type milieu of late night karaoke. Like, you can get weird because it kind of doesn't count.
- •STARS GO BLIND by Paris Hilton.Don't want to talk about it.
- •Summer of '69Suggested by @callahan
- •LIVING WATER TRIBUTESuggested by @dave