CHILDREN'S BOOKS THAT IMPACTED MY LIFE
There's something about children's books that get to the heart of what life is.
- •Walk Two Moons by Sharon CreechThis is a book that I've come back to over and over as an adult. Creech created a story with incredibly real characters, emotion, and of course, blackberry kisses.
- •From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. KonisburgA story that taught me the importance of independence and adventure. And how to play the card game "War"
- •The Skin I'm In by Sharon FlakeThere have been few protagonists, before or since I've read this book, that I've identified with in a visceral way.
- •Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley SnyderI learned about the reality of poverty along with Cat. I wanted/want to be as tough as her.
- •Flipped by Wendelin Van DraanenA story about first impressions, first love, and redemption.
- •Here's to You, Rachel Robinson by Judy BlumeAll happy families are alike, every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. What a relief.
- •Holes by Louis SacharLesson learned: adults can be evil, too.
- •Harriet the Spy by Louise FitzhughThe reason I started journaling (and spying).
- •The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley SnyderThe beginning of endless recess sessions filled with world creating in the woods.
- •Ramona and Her Father by Beverly ClearyI love all of the Ramona books (and pretty much everything Beverly Cleary has written), but this one, exploring the dynamic between Ramona and her dad, is a special favorite.
- •Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineEach read is a reminder all of us possess magic.
- •The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
- •The One and Only Ivan by K.A. ApplegateThis book was published long after I was a child, but the lyrical writing and story made me feel like one again.
- •The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. CooneyNot really a children's book, but I read it as a child, and wanted a friend group (and boyfriend) like Janie's.
- •Eleven by Sandra CisnerosA short story rather than a book, but it packs more punch than most novels.