LYRICS FROM "25" THAT SUCKER PUNCHED ME AND WHY
👑Adele is timeless. I bought the deluxe version of 25 this morning, and then felt like I'd been punched in the throat at various intervals, specifically by the following lines:
- •"It matters how this ends/Cause what if I never love again?" -All I AskThe full chorus is: "If this is my last night with you/Hold me like I'm more than just a friend/Give me a memory u can use/Take me by the hand while we do what lovers do/it matters how this ends/Cause what if I never love again?" This summer, I had a moment where I felt this exactly-I knew it would be the last time for the foreseeable future that I would see my ex, and I desperately wanted to create a memory of being loved that way in case it never happens again. 💔
- •"You told me you were ready...I'd be your last love everlasting...that's what you told me." - Send My Love (To Your New Lover)The other day I came across a card from my ex that said "you're my best friend. I feel so blessed to have fallen for you. I love you." I took each statement (and others like them) as a promise and was shocked to find that he didn't mean them to be. When we were breaking up, I kept saying "But you said..." Words mean things, especially to me.
- •"We were sad of getting old, it made us restless/Oh I'm so mad at getting old, it makes me reckless!" - When We Were YoungLately, with everything going on in America and around the world, as well as in my life I've been feeling both restless and reckless. I want to start a revolution, in the world and in my heart, but some days I feel too old and weary to do so, and other days I just want to be reckless and light the world on fire. (Like St. Ignatius, not like arson). 🔥
- •"If you're not the one for me/Why do I hate the idea of being free?" -Water Under the BridgeI think almost everyone can relate to this lyric. For me, I've struggled with the idea that my 20s/singledom is great because of the freedom the age brings, and the opportunity to be selfish. But I loved focusing on someone else, and feeling connected is important to me. I'm certainly independent, but I don't crave the kind of freedom so often imagined as the antithesis to a stable life. See also: MASTER OF NONE KIND OF BUMMED ME OUT?
- •"No one knows me like you do/And since you're the only one that matters/Tell me, who do I run to?" - All I AskObviously "All I Ask" is my favorite song on the album, because all of the lyrics particularly resonate with me right now. But these lines specifically touch the struggles of losing a friend or lover, whether because of circumstance or death. What happens when you lose your best audience member? Where do all your inside jokes go? And who do you talk about the loss with?