THINGS I KNOW TO BE TRUE ABOUT BEING A TEACHER
- •Essays do not grade themselves, no matter how long I leave them to their own devices.
- •If I am excited about something, my students will be excited about it.
- •If I can't drum up enthusiasm about something, my students will know it. Something has to change- the thing or my attitude towards the thing.
- •The best advice for teaching is also the best advice I got in high school- Act enthusiastic and you'll be enthusiastic.
- •Education is messy and loud.
- •Teaching poetry always makes me feel like a rockstar...
- •Therefore, the idea that students inherently hate/don't understand poetry is total crap.
- •Lists are great for procrastinating
- •Essays are still not self-grading.