SONGS FOR YOUR NEXT WORKOUT/DANCE PARTY
I run the Chicago chapter of Dance Dance Party Party, which is basically a dance class minus the actual instruction. These are songs I like to play when it's my turn to DJ.
- •"Move Your Feet" by Junior Senior. In the summer of 2002, I went on a post-bar trip to Scandinavia with two friends. We spent a lot of time in 1-star hotels watching Mtv Europe. Which means we saw this video at least twice a day for three weeks. It and the song both HOLD UP.
- •"Don't Go There" by 24K from the Dangerous Minds soundtrack. True story: I solicited suggestions for one of my playlists from guys on OKCupid. I never went out with him, but one guy suggested this deep cut and my life has been a little bit better ever since.
- •"1-2-3-4 (Sumpin' New)" by Coolio. Did you forget this song? I did.
- •"Call Your Girlfriend" by Robyn. Also call Taran Killam to thank him for ensuring that at any given dance party, at least one other person in the room will be able to do some of the dance from this video with you.
- •"Footloose" by Kenny Loggins. Because I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here. When a song is perfect for a dancing crowd, it's perfect for a dancing crowd.
- •"Kanye West x Snap! | Power^2" by The Hood Internet. These guys are Chicago's mashup experts, and this is the sped-up version of "Power" you didn't know you needed.