My Favourite Eurovison Performances, RANKED
No one takes Eurovision seriously! The stage is home to both fringe dwelling performers and the pop star pastiche alike, just YouTube Graham Norton's Eurovision commentary and that gives you an indication of the spirit in which you should take it! But it's fun, unifying, and occasionally gives the world some truly memorable music!
- 1.Caroban by Nina of Serbia (2011)In English, caroban translates to "magical"! The song was preformed in Nina's native Serbian, there is an English version out there. It's festive retro pop at its best and everything about this mod styled performance was indeed magical!
- 2.Just a little bit by Gina G of England (1996)Gina G is actually Australian, from where I live, but before we were officially invited to participate in Eurovision in 2014, like other famous Aussies before her (e.g. Olivia Newton-John) she preformed on behalf of Great Britain! This song got great air play in Oz thanks to it Eurovision standing and is pure 90's pop worthy of the Spice Girls themselves!
- 3.Waterloo by Abba of Sweden (1974)I've only been watching Eurovision for the past 20 years, but the fact that this track is so popular and known throughout the world definitely owes it a place on my list!
- 4.Sound of Silence by Dami Im of Australia (2016)Dami is the cutest nerd from my neck of the woods, and she has a set of pipes that can belt out a power ballad with absolute ease. We came 2nd again, losing by only 23 points to the Ukraine. It was all very exciting!
- 5.Satellite by Lena of Germany (2010)This song was a great entry for Germany, so fun and light and I totally listened to it for weeks following the event!
- 6.Tonight Again by Guy Sebastian of Australia (2015)Guy is a seasoned popstar having won the first Australian Idol competition way back on the early noughties. This, and much of his work, evokes the spirit of Justin Timberlake making it perfect fodder for commercial audiences and the dance floors of the world. This song also came second!
- 7.Euphoria by Loreen of Sweden (2012)This was my favourite song from 2012 and it won! It is a heartfelt dance number with a performance to match. YouTube it and see what I mean!
- 8.Dancing Lasha Tumbai by Verka Serduchka of Ukraine (2007)The drag queen off-spring of Elton John and a mirror ball, Verka is a prime example of why you tune into Eurovision! The the up-tempo accordion heavy dance number (words that were never spoken before) combined with the bilingual lyrics ensured the dance floor didn't know what hit it and neither did the audience, but we sure love watching! (You may also remember her cameo in @paulfeig Spy! So good!)
- 9.You're Not Alone by Joe & Jake (2016)This song is a genuine like. Nothing gimmicky, just a good pop song sung in the key of Coldplay from a pair of above average looking youths, but it's now on my iTunes and therefore has a place in my heart and this list!
- 10.Party for Everybody by Buranovskiye Babushki of Russia (2012)Probably the only contestants ever to remember the first Eurovision Song Contest in 1956, these Babushkas got onstage and baked bread while they sang. It was kitsch, catchy and memorable and that's why it's Number 10 on my list!