Why Does the Weasel Go Pop?
Questions I Have for Bananas Kids' Books and Songs
- •"All around the cobbler's bench, the monkey chased the weasel..." Why are they running around a shoemaker's place? Does only the monkey think 'twas all in fun? Who is going to clean up the popped weasel?
- •"Rockabye baby, in a treetop..." Who put the baby in a tree? Is this the song of a mentally disturbed person who got their hands on a baby and then stuck them in a tree?
- •"Love You Forever" Could this book BE any creepier? Why does the mom crawl across the floor like a creature in a horror film? Is this the inspiration for Norman Bates? Does she die at the end? So many questions.
- •"She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain" Is there another route this woman could take? Who is "she"? She must be pretty bad-ass, since she will be driving 6 white horses AND making chicken and dumplings. I wish there were more verses so I could really understand her character.
- •"Hush Little Baby" Why are none of these gifts appropriate for a child? Not a one! Diamond ring? Choke hazard! Billy goat? Will eat all the kids' toys. Horse and cart? Tipping hazard. Where do you even buy a mockingbird?
- •"Goodnight Moon" Is the old lady whispering 'hush' the grandma or a random person? Who chose the color palette? Where is the fireplace screen? The bowl of mush- is it dinner and did the child brush their teeth after eating it?
- •"Madeline" I love this classic, but the attempts at rhyming are pretty bad. Did the beloved author really think that "arm" and "warm" rhyme?