BOOKS I'VE RECENTLY READ
Starting with the most recent. Recommendations welcomed!
- •One More Thing by BJ NovakI bought it on Monday after dropping my boyfriend off at the station. His reaction: "Finally! You've been saying you're going to get that book for the last two years." Highlights so far: The Rematch, Sophia, and The Comedy Central Roast of Nelson Mandela.
- •Why Not Me? by Mindy KalingDuh. That excerpt in Glamour (of all places) is the tits and I texted it to all my gr8m8s. Highlights: "The Sexiest Thing that has Ever Happened to Me," BJ's verbatim response to a Broadway show, the intrigue and romance of One of the President's Men, thinking of Danny Castellano while reading Sam Cook's emails, and of course Why Not Me 4eva. I read the whole book while Ryan made a turkey and watched the Jays game.
- •The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin HamidRyan's friend mentioned it while we were at the cabin over Labour Day long weekend and it inspired me to pull it off my shelf. It's a short and compelling read. Highlights: all the things left unsaid.
- •Yes Please by Amy PoehlerI brought this with me to Japan because it seemed like something you'd pick up at the airport and read on the plane. I didn't touch it for the three weeks I was travelling, but I ended up reading it at the cabin and was truly touched and inspired by so much of it that I made a list (before I even knew of The List App!) of all the advice that resonated with me. Highlights: "Sorry, Sorry, Sorry," "An Apology Letter from the Brain," and so much more that I can't quite recall atm
- •We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew ThomasI felt it on my nerve endings. Highlights: feeling what it's like to be alive in a way that's more powerful than actual life often feels, feeling like I had overcome the Wall of Self and could truly understand what living is like for someone else, feeling satiated and fulfilled when I closed that book, like it was worth whatever amount of effort/time/work I'd put into reading it.