I HAVE COMPLICATED FEELINGS ABOUT CAITLYN JENNER
Someone I love with my full heart is about to start hormone treatments to begin the transition to [their] full self. It has been a long and hard journey. Everyday, I learn more about what this journey entails and about the challenges facing this community.
- •Any story that enhances understanding and embrace of the trans experience--that makes it easier for trans youth to come out and makes it a richer and more respectful world for them to come out in--is valuable, I believe.
- •Caitlyn Jenner's story is valuable.
- •Coming out his heroic and brave, no matter your circumstances.
- •Caitlyn Jenner is heroic and brave.
- •It is objectively easier to come out and to exist as a trans American if you are wealthy and white.
- •Caitlyn is wealthy and white. She gets her story. Her piece. Let's not confuse it as emblematic of the whole.
- •We shouldn't force one person to be a spokesperson for an entire community. But, if you are going to assume that role on your own accord, if you are actively leveraging your celebrity to advance a cause as you say you are, you need to know what you are talking about.
- •If you're going to be an advocate you need to advocate.
- •You need to use your voice to bring change.
- •You need to not say, in an interview with Buzzfeed, that the hardest part of being a woman is "figuring out what to wear."This is so insulting to cis and trans females. http://www.buzzfeed.com/kristinharris/caitlyn-jenner-the-power-of-the-woman-hasnt-been-unleashed#.cv12Py5Z8
- •(The hardest part of being a woman has never had anything to do with over-full closets.)
- •You need to understand the real issues facing the trans community: homelessness; suicide; harassment; sexual assault; discrimination in jobs, schools, and housing; general marginalization and injustice in all areas of life.Caitlyn has addressed the suicide and bullying rates in this community, notably in her ESPY speech. For that, I applaud her and say: More.
- •Recognize: 41% of gender-nonconforming and transgender people try to take their own lives.The rate for the general population is just over 4%.
- •Trans people are 4 x more likely to live in extreme poverty than the general population.
- •They face double the rate of unemployment.
- •They face a deck that's stacked against them at every turn.
- •So, I can't wait for the day when the biggest problem facing trans women is what Vivienne Westwood dress they're going to wear that day.
- •In conclusion, Caitlyn Jenner: YASSSSS KWEEN and Be better, Human.