Some of My Favorite Meals to Cook at Home
I love to cook, and my requirements for weekday recipes are that they are easy, nutritious, and taste better than they are healthy. Here are a few that are always on rotation. You won't regret making any of these.
- •Quinoa with Feta, Mint, Scallions, & Dilltastes like spanakopita. my son's favorite dinner. http://bit.ly/1LVybCg
- •Red Lentil Soup with Lemonmy absolute favorite comfort food. http://bit.ly/1LVycpF
- •Brown Rice Lentil Wrapsthese taste so much better than they sound. like little burritos of rice and goat cheese and arugula wrapped in Swiss chard and baked in the oven with Parmesan and tomato sauce. So basically, ends up tasting like healthy GF lasagna. http://bit.ly/1Vtp3VX
- •Lemon Thyme ChickenPamela Salzman is a wealth of knowledge on how to cook delicious healthy meals. I've made almost everything on her website, and it's all delicious. She's also great at taking restaurant meals she loves and making them healthier and easier for DIY. This is one of those... http://bit.ly/1LVBedE
- •Roasted Cauliflower & Chickpeas with mustard vinaigretteA Gwyneth recipe...can't go wrong. http://bit.ly/1LVBgC9
- •Canal House Tomato Tartmy best friend made this for me and got me hooked. i worship the Canal House ladies and got engaged making their lasagna one Christmas because my husband says he'd never seen me happier and had to pop the question. http://bit.ly/1Vtqwvq
- •Roast ChickenI do my own thing now after lots of trial & error. This is all you need on a Sunday night with some braised greens and white beans sautéed with shallots and thyme. Preheat oven to 425. Dry your chicken and rub kosher salt inside and out. Mix 2 tbsp magic poultry seasoning w a little olive oil and mustard and rub it all over the chicken. Pop in a casserole dish breast side up over a bed of chopped onions, fennel, carrots, potatoes...whatever. Cook for 70 minutes & let rest for 15 before serving.
- •Pasta with Feta, Lemon, Pine nuts & Squashlove this because the favors are unique for pasta. this is definitely a summery dish but I love it all year round. http://bit.ly/1LVBedF
- •Pozole Verdemy husband makes this for me at least once a month. one of my favorite meals ever. he fries up tortilla strips too which are perfect on top. seems complicated but once you have this recipe down it is easy. http://fandw.me/1VtqyUi
- •Escarole with Lemon and ParmesanThis salad is from the Franny's cookbook and is simple and just perfect. Generally I tend to choose a different green (arugula, escarole, little gem, spinach) to accompany each meal, and add an acid (lemon, white balsamic, champagne or sherry vinegar), a cheese (parm, pecorino, manchego, feta) and olive oil and play around with it. Sometimes chopped walnuts, pine nuts, hazelnuts or marcona almonds too. http://bit.ly/1Vtro3a
- •Marcella Hazan's Smothered Cabbage with Ricesounds: bizarre. tastes: like the deepest umami risotto. so savory and perfect. this recipe is a gem and from the queen of Italian cooking. it's @smdanler and my fave.
- •Turkey ChiliI made this one up. It's super easy and delish. sauté 1 chopped onion, 3 chopped carrots, 1 chopped red bell pepper, 5 minced garlic cloves. Add 2 tbsp chili powder. 1 tsp cumin. Add 2 lbs of ground turkey and salt, sauté until brown. Add 28oz can chopped tomatoes, 15oz can fire roasted tomatoes, 1 small can chopped hatch chiles, 1 can of rinsed black beans. Bring to boil & reduce to simmer for 1 hour. Add chopped zucchini towards the end. I top w Greek yogurt, scallions and grated raw cheddar.
- •Lemony Sole in cooked in parchmentFilet of sole wrapped individually in parchment paper. Before closing up the parchment add salt, lemon juice and capers. Bake in oven for 15 minutes at 350. Easy and fast. Serve with steamed haricot vert tossed with lemon, Dijon, maldon salt and olive oil.
- •Macro BowlsGreat weeknight meal and you can personalize for each family member. I start with cooked Brown rice that I sauté with olive oil, scallions and finely chopped kale. Top with sesame seeds & Tamari. Add any or all of: avocado, shaved carrots and zucchini, steamed broccoli, broiled tofu or tempeh, sautéed chard or kale, fermented cabbage (I love WildBrine from Whole Foods which includes seaweed). Top with Tahini mixed with lemon juice, salt & and a little water.
- •Fattoush SaladThe best! Finely chop 1/2 red onion, Halve one cup of baby tomatoes, slice a bunch of red radishes, & chop 4 Persian cucumbers into quarters. Toss with finely chopped dill, parsley, feta (I like Valbreso), red wine vinegar and olive oil. Top with maldon salt. for some extra crunch add in some pita chips. You could even add 1/4 cup of a grain to this salad as well.
- •Nicoise SaladA great, easy go-to for lunch or dinner any day. you can switch things up with this salad. I like to do frisée for the base and add two 9-minute boiled eggs (quartered), my fave Tonnino tuna in oil, baby tomatoes roasted with fresh oregano and capers in the oven for 25 mins, steamed haricot vert or favas if it's the season...nicoise olives. Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice on top with pepper and some finishing salt. Dreamy.