A GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING WHY PEOPLE LOVE PHISH FOR ANYONE WHO ALREADY KNOWS THEY HATE THEM
Because you already do, don't you.
- •It's the only concert you can go to and actually watch a band instead of a sea of iPhones taking InstagramsWild, right?
- •The parking lot before a show turns into a mini-mall for everything you'd ever need / want/ crave$2 beers! Funny pins! Punny tshirts! Seasoned grilled cheeses! Delicious quesadillas! Cool cozies! It's truly it's own little world.
- •Glow wars!!!!!!!!!Just a lil' thing where people bring hundreds of glow sticks and chuck them in the air, magically, at the same time during a great song.
- •Seeing men in skirts dancing so freely.It never gets old
- •Edibles!Oh, you think Colorado weed shops are cool? Just wait.
- •Every show is completely different.A-list pop stars wear the same costumes and move in the same poses every night for 16 months. Phish repeat nothing. Ever.
- •People are incomparably friendly.It's just how it is. It's like Mayberry, for one night only.
- •It's ALL about the music.People leave Taylor Swift shows talking about what celebrity guest came on stage. People leave Phish talking about how good Trey played. Know what I mean?
- •Every song has its own "bits", with call-outs, sing-a-longs and props.For one song, they all come out on trampolines and play while jumping in unison. It's amazing!
- •Being surrounded by thousands of people who are happy and having fun and not worrying about how dumb they look grooving to a beat.Try to find even two of those at happy hour. (You can't.)
- •It's a great way to dive into musical spheres you've never given a second look to.If you don't know who Derek Trucks is by name or can't recall six Buddy Guy songs by memory, you are an ideal candidate.
- •You get more bang for your buck than any other concertTwo full sets and an encore. They're working so hard for you!
- •Grilled Cheese will never be better anywhere else.This is a fact. (It's the seasonings.)
- •The audience isn't The Sixth Man. The lighting engineer is.So beautiful and bright and perfectly synced with the improvised jams, It's like July 4th comes early every time.
- •Everything about the band is basically an inside joke.The circular patterns on blankets and t-shirts. The Milky Way candy bar-shaped logo t-shirts. Once you're in, you're part of something so special.
- •Because really, would this many people be into it if it was whack?
- •CRUCIAL UPDATE: Tonight they played the song they do trampolines on! (It's real!)