THE 13 HOURS I SPENT FLYING & INTERVIEWING KIM KARDASHIAN YESTERDAY
Last-minute invite to hop a press plane to interview Kim one-on-one at a Hype energy drink launch party in Nashville? Yeah, I'll take it.
- •(Psst -- the story is live on Racked!)
- •10:00am: meet the publicist and other reporters at a luxury bus outside Bryant ParkI arrive last, at 10:10. I am late, stressed and sweating thru my overalls.
- •11:00am: arrive at Teterboro to take private jet to NashvilleThe waiting room is clean! The bathroom had free toothbrushes! I hate being poor and flying regular!
- •12:00pm: board plane and realize it's not quite what I anticipatedEnds up a "chartered plane" is a 30-person shuttle, set up like a regular short-flight plane. My dreams of leather chairs / dance parties / champagne popping disappear.
- •1:00pm: lunch is served.,,to half the plane. I, luckily, get a half tuna sandwich. I later hear another editor only got a handful of veggies, and ate a cauliflower chunk like an apple.
- •2:00pm: land in NashvillePlane selfies, a quick bus ride and decompression time in a holding area, where we're informed to address her as "Mrs. West"
- •3:00pm: wait for it, wait for it, MANIAPandemonium as one can only imagine it.
- •4:00pm: I'm finally given my opportunity to interview Kim and--Well, you should probably read the story to see how *interesting* that experience was 🌿
- •5:00pm: Now what?Our plane is supposed to leave at 8, but the "energy drink concert" is a bust. Everyone leaves, the crowd is empty, and the gaggle of journalists hit a local candy store instead.
- •6:00pm: Bid adieu to the bizarre half-nightmare that was this tripThough hearing one girl's tale of being Madonna's assistant was 😱👍👍👍
- •7:00pm: Find out there's no real dinner on the planeI FEED ON CLOUDS NOW THX
- •8:00pm: Write half the story on my dying iPhone while watching Swingers on my KindleIt's amazing how much you can get done when there's no wifi
- •9:00pm: write, Swingers, vodka, repeat.If the plane has more booze than food, well, you can't blame me
- •10:00pm: land, text @julia for the better part of the bus ride, and cap the day off with last night's YoungerAhhhhh, serenity.