Already on li.st? Open in app.
It's no secret - I go on a lot of "girl's trips." But my husband only goes away once a year with the boys. I literally live for that week every year. Last night as I sat here enjoying the heck out of my last night of "alone time" I reflected on all the things I did all week that I don't normally do when he's here. And thus the list below was born.
- 1.Take out the garbage.That's his job. I honestly only do it once a year. And when it is "my turn" I'm always reminded - on the walk up and down to the street (with a garbage can and a recycling bin) - just how steep our driveway really is.
- 2.Sleep with two televisions on.One on downstairs and one on upstairs. To make it look like I'm not home alone. Duh.
- 3.Skip dinner every night.Normally I have a skip dinner night one night a week. (Don't ask.) When he's gone I don't eat dinner all week. And I don't miss it. Bonus - I lose weight.
In no particular order. (And also known as movies I automatically stop to watch for the umpteenth time each time I come across them while channel surfing.) Please share yours! 😍
- •Mystic PizzaWhen I first fell in love with a then unknown Julia Roberts.
- •MermaidsJust stumbled across this forgotten gem a few weekends ago. Cher, Winona Ryder and a young Christina Ricci - perfect casting.
- •About Last NightRob Lowe. My lifelong crush. Enough said.
Emojis I've searched for and couldn't find on my standard emoji keyboard resulted in a missing emoji list in my "notes" - so when I finally create "CarolEmoji's" I will remember to include them. Here's the list to date...and why I was searching for them. Please add yours!
- •ScarfAs in "fashion scarf" which I was describing as part of the outfit I was wearing out one fall evening.
- •TurtlenecksWhat I was packing for a winter week at the beach.
- •MittensWas asking if I should bring cold weather gear to our annual St. Patrick's Day in NYC.
So my 26 year old niece/Goddaughter/adopted daughter has been visiting since Friday. And although she always makes me laugh with the things she comes off with - this visit produced some classics.
- •Come on Slow-Pochio!The name she gave to her miniature dachshund when he was taking too long to eat his dinner.
- •That's a hard no.Apparently there are two types of no's. The "soft no" which means it might turn into a yes and the "hard no" which is pretty much the equivalent of a "hell no!"
- •Is your a#% jealous of the s#%^ that's coming out of your mouth?A retort one gives to someone who's obviously bullsh#%ing you.
In no particular order...just the way they popped into my head while creating this list tonight. Ohhhh the memories! (And yes - it's killing me that it came out to 16 instead of a 10 or 15 or 20 or 25, etc...but that's where the memories stopped so I guess it's ok to make an exception to my personal list rule.😁)
- 1.Winnie-the-Pooh Stuffed AnimalThe 1970's version. From Sears. Which was the only place that sold Winnie-the-Pooh stuff - other than Walt Disney World at that time. And this picture is really him - at age 44. My oldest living childhood toy. (Side note: I actually only have 3 childhood toys left and the other 2 didn't even make this list.)
- 2.Lite-BriteThe theme song is now going through my mind...🎶Lite-Brite makin' things with light...🎶
- 3.SpirographNot sure what we did with all those psychedelic drawings we made but they sure were "funky!"
Turning 50 meant my personal list of "exams you must start having at a certain age" got longer by one. Here's my take on what you will and will not experience when you cross over the half century mark and get the dreaded "Colonoscopy." (Queue the evil laughter.😱)
- •You will hear horror stories. 👻
- •You will also hear reassuring stories. 🙏🏻
- •You will suddenly crave every food you ever loved in your life - and some you didn't even know you liked - once you start your 24 hour prep. 🤐
I now present to you 25 Things You Don't Know About Me. (That number - and name - is in honor of a featured article in one of two magazines I subscribe to - US Weekly. Yes. US Weekly. I need my celebrity gossip. Don't judge.)
- 1.Fish freak me out.So much so that I can't even look in the direction of an aquarium. And - although I love the beach - I rarely go in the ocean over my ankles because of those scaly, creepy creatures. (And when people hear this the first thing they ask is "Do you eat fish?" Yes - yes I do. Dead, cooked fish are not scary to me. It's something about the scales.) 🐠
- 2.A few years ago I actually traced my fish aversion back to an incident when I was eight years old.One of my fish jumped out of our family aquarium and I stepped on him - in bare feet. Apparently it was quite traumatic for both of us. 😰
- 3.From May to October I sleep at the opposite end of the bed - with my head at the foot board and my feet at the head board.The reason why is simple - but to explain it in writing would take far too many characters - so you'll just have to trust me on this one. 🛌
So last Friday I opened up my freezer to get some hot dogs out to defrost for a cookout we were having that evening. And...to my dismay...a wall of water greeted me. Since then we've been awaiting a new part for our 16 year old friend. And tonight I realized some things I discovered without the "luxury" of this major appliance.
- •Pretty much all of the foods I need to survive fit nicely in a standard size cooler.
- •And if they don't need to be "cooled" they can "chill" out on the counter with the microwave and bananas and fit right in. (See what I did there?😉)
- •My refrigerator has never been cleaner. Not even when it got delivered here 16 years ago while we were in the process of building the house.
- •Should the new part the refrigerator repairman promised us to make it cold again never get delivered...I'm ok with my "new" fridge. It even matches the blue color scheme I've got going on in the kitchen.
Today's Top 10 list is courtesy of being a little over two weeks into a new decade in life...and a half century on earth.
- 1.Before June 30th, 2016 a hangover lasted until around 12noon. After that date - it lasts until about 12am - yes - roughly 24 hours.
- 2.I like hot dogs. I was always the hamburger person at the cook out. This summer I realized I like hot dogs better. Go figure
- 3.I'm slowly becoming my mom. It started lining up my vitamins then progressed to "prepping" things I use in the morning the night before...ie..coffee pods, Splenda packets, cinnamon for my coffee...you get the idea.
Also known as photos I've saved to text to my friends and family instead of actually verbalizing how I'm feeling. What can I say. They get me.
- •Waaaaa, waaaaa, waaaaa....You start that negative talk crap...you get this.
- •Yup.My new favorite way of describing a person who just doesn't function well in reality. Thank you Gwennie for turning me on to this gem.
- •True story.This gets thrown in a thread when my girls and I are on a tangent about a topic or experience that no one else would find as funny as we do.