Things I Do While My Husband Is Away
It's no secret - I go on a lot of "girl's trips." But my husband only goes away once a year with the boys. I literally live for that week every year. Last night as I sat here enjoying the heck out of my last night of "alone time" I reflected on all the things I did all week that I don't normally do when he's here. And thus the list below was born.
- 1.Take out the garbage.That's his job. I honestly only do it once a year. And when it is "my turn" I'm always reminded - on the walk up and down to the street (with a garbage can and a recycling bin) - just how steep our driveway really is.
- 2.Sleep with two televisions on.One on downstairs and one on upstairs. To make it look like I'm not home alone. Duh.
- 3.Skip dinner every night.Normally I have a skip dinner night one night a week. (Don't ask.) When he's gone I don't eat dinner all week. And I don't miss it. Bonus - I lose weight.
- 4.Go 24 hours without hearing my own voice.I work from home. I talk to 2 people on a daily basis - him and my mom. Both are at night around the same time. And since I hate talking on the phone both are a total of like 4 minutes.
- 5.Play Candy Crush and Words With Friends in bed.I'd do it when he's here but I know how annoying the light from the iPad or iPhone would be. So I don't. I'm polite like that.
- 6.Sleep with my phone (and cheaters) in the bed.Because I fall asleep playing Candy Crush or Words With Friends. (See #5)
- 7.Put the tower fan on Power Cool aka 60 degrees.As opposed to the "White Noise" mode which is the only setting I could get him to agree on once I hit the "night sweats" age.
- 8.Stay up later.Typically I'm in bed by 9:30 or 10:00. When he's gone it's more like 11:30 or 12:00. I have no explanation for this one. Maybe it's because I feel like my parents are away and I'm breaking curfew?
- 9.Turn the volume on my phone on.I am not a fan of hearing pings, ring tones, or the myriad of annoying notification sounds that exist. So therefore my phone is always on silent and hence I miss a lot of calls and texts. But - just in case he's trying to get in touch with me - I turn the sound on. (Queue the "Awwwwws"...🤗)
- 10.Miss him.Shhhh. This one is between you and me. He doesn't need to know. And if you tell him I'll swear I never said it.