A FEW TIPS FOR CURLY HAIR
I've tried every trick in the book, so I've learned a thing or two.
- •Products are importantYou really don't want to use gel, since it will make your hair crunchy. The biggest key here is to moisturize. You want some sort of hair cream that moisturizes and controls without turning your hair into a helmet. I recommend the Kinky Curly leave-in conditioner, and if your hair is really think, a drop of their curling custard.
- •Don't wash your hair every day"But Caroline," you may be saying, "that's gross." My response to you is, unless you want to dry out your hair and make it frizzy, wash it every three days, my curly girlies.
- •Humidity is your friend (trust me)If you want your curls to be luscious and full, humidity will only help. Dry weather equals dry, flat hair. I want to stress that on humid days, though, you MUST use the right product to result in curls instead of frizz.
- •Consider getting a new hair stylistDid you know there are stylists that are specifically trained in curly hair? Even crazier, most of these stylists will cut your hair dry! The reason is because each of your curls are so different, that it's easier to give you a nice cut when your hair is dry, as opposed to when it's wet and straight. Believe me when I say your hair will never look better.
- •DO NOT brush your hair. Ever.Not when it's dry, not when it's wet, never. Don't even comb it. Use your fingers to comb it when it has conditioner in it in the shower, and that's it. If you must use a comb, use a wide tooth one, but avoiding brushing/combing will protect you from stringy curls.
- •Use hydration spraysIs your hair a little lackluster but you don't want to wash it? Wet it, flip it over your head, spray it with a hydration spray, and scrunch. I use a Frizz Ease leave-in conditioner spray.
- •If you don't have hair products on hand, use regular conditioner or hand lotionIt nearly does the same thing as any curling cream. Again, the key here is moisture.
- •Let your curls fly freeCurls look the best when you're not trying to control them! Let your hair be big, crazy, and beautiful. A little frizz is okay because you're rocking your wild hair.