The sandwich is a perfect food. It is my favorite food and this is a mostly NY centric list to celebrate it. Sandwiches should always be cold fare with few and very specific exceptions (see below). This is a definitive list, thank you. PS: A hot wrap is not a sandwich, it's a weak burrito and I thank you to keep your garbage mouth away from me.
- •Lamoretti from Lamazou in Kips Bay. Ciabatta, roast beef, white cheddar, cornichons, lettuce, tomato, mayo.This is the perfect sandwich.
- •# 1 Classic Banh Mi from Joju in Elmhurst, Queens. Baguette, ham, head cheese, pickled carrot/daikon, cucumber, cilantro, pâté spread.One time I ate here and my sister pointed out that there was a cockroach on the wall near my head. I stood up as a reflexive response to being faced with filth but then immediately sat down again because sandwich.
- •#29 from Press 195 in Bayside, Queens. Ciabatta, sliced steak, chimichurri, provolone, onions. (Add avocado).
- •Daughter's Delight from Russ and Daughters. Sesame bagel, overpriced salmon and caviar, add onion, tomato, and capers.
- •A tuna salad triple decker on toasted ryeYou can get it at any diner and it's pretty hard to mess up.
- •Grilled cheesePlain American cheese on white bread will do. Also acceptable: pesto and mozzarella, choice of bread.
- •Egg and CheeseAny variation of this with bread of your choosing. Additions can be made.