SONGS I SLOW-DANCED TO IN MIDDLE SCHOOL, RANKED
Dedicated to the one and only DJ Mike, who worked every dance in our weird private school cafeteria, and was probably Soulja Boy's biggest fan to date 💃🏻🎤
- 1.We Belong Together- Mariah CareyMariah owned the early 2000s. I fondly remember dancing to this with my friend so he could keep an eye on the girl he liked while she danced with someone else. Typical. I'm pretty sure DJ Mike only played this that one time though, which frankly is embarrassing on his part.
- 2.Collide- Howie DayI had never heard this song before my first sixth grade dance, where I danced to it with my best friend's boyfriend. I later did a project on it for a "love song" English assignment in eighth grade. It was played at almost every middle school dance and I was very sad to see it go in high school.
- 3.I'll Be- Edwin McCainAfter hearing this at a few school dances, I announced to my friends that it would be my wedding song. I later learned that it is a pretty unoriginal wedding song choice. Still an awesome song to dance to with a cute guy who most likely pity-asked you.
- 4.Chasing Cars- Snow PatrolI danced with some really questionable boys to this song, because I HAD to dance when DJ Mike started playing it. It felt like a really grown-up slow song (I guess it was, comparatively). Also, I put this on every 2000s throwback playlist I ever make.
- 5.Hey There Delilah- Plain White T'sThis was my jam in middle school, and I was so envious of my camp friend Delilah when it was released. Fun fact: my frenemy danced with Bon Jovi's son to this song (at least I'm pretty sure it was this song) and afterward she saved the hair tie she was wearing in a jar.
- 6.You + Me- LifehouseA lot of drama went down during this song. I remember dancing with a guy next to my friend and her boyfriend, and then watching as my friend unexpectedly dumped her boyfriend on the dance floor and locked herself in the bathroom. The song itself is nice, though.
- 7.A Moment Like This- Kelly ClarksonThis song reminded me of those Sandals Resort commercials, so I could envision the beach even when my dance partner spit on me while mouthing the lyrics. That really happened- I went to middle school with some classy preteen boys.
- 8.You're Beautiful- James BluntAnother song that my dance partner lip-synced to.
- 9.She Will Be Loved- Maroon 5Fine, but was probably played three times per dance. DJ Mike liked to get creative and mix it with other songs, which was overly ambitious of him.
- 10.The Climb- Miley CyrusThe Hannah Montana Movie came out at the end of 8th grade, and since DJ Mike likes to keep things current, he played it twice at our final middle school dance. It was met with a lot of shouting and was boycotted by most of my grade, who considered themselves too cool for Disney-era Miley at that point.
- 11.Almost every track on Taylor Swift's first two albumsDJ Mike thought he could pass anything in Taylor's repertoire off as a slow dance if he preceded it by saying "I think it's time we slow things down a bit!" I like Taylor, but these were not slow dance songs. Nice try, DJ Mike.
- 12.Good Riddance- Green DayThey played this last at EVERY dance in my middle school career. That was because my best friend at the time and her boyfriend (that same one I had my first slow dance with) were our grade's #1 major couple and decided this was their song. They had a standing request, and it was a little weird for the rest of us because it was totally their thing. I still danced to it when I was asked, but we always hovered around the edge of the dance floor to give V & Michael their space.
- 13.Apologize- One RepublicI didn't hate the song, but I hated that it was played for slow dances. It's a break-up song? One of the "it" couples in my grade actually considered this their couple song. I always wondered if they just didn't understand the lyrics at all, or if they really didn't like it each other.