Awesome things about Gilmer, TX
I grew up in Gilmer, TX, population 5000. There's some fantastic things about growing up there.
- •The YamboreeYes we have a yearly festival celebrating Yams, except it's really sweet potatoes. Complete with Tater trot race, sweet potato pie contest, sweet potato dress-up contest (I've seen Abrahyam Lincoln!), Yamboree parade and the Barn Dance
- •Gilmer Buckeye football, state champs!The stadium is a huge improvement than when I was in school, but it was just as much of a social event then as it is now.
- •Town squareWith a courthouse right in the middle with all kinds of shops and restaurants around it. Real red brick streets
- •The Patterson AdditionThe neighborhood I always wanted to live in, not sure why it was called Patterson Addition though
- •First Methodist Church vs First Baptist ChurchSeparated by train tracks, each one considered the church "on the other side of the tracks".
- •A trip to Walmart is a social eventBetter fix your hair if you go, cause you will DEFINITELY run into your teacher from elementary or the preacher
- •Wedding showersYou WILL get everything on your registry. People will buy you "half" a fork, or "half" a spoon. But you had to register at the local Nelm's or Lou's cause it's just too far to go all the way to Dillard's in Longview.
- •Baby showersSame as the wedding shower, you'll get everything you registered for
- •Ann BrownSimply the best cakes and baked goods as long as I've been alive. If you got married in Gilmer, you had an Ann Brown cake, and she probably catered the whole thing. Petit fours and chocolate cake want to make you slap ya Mama!
- •Gilmer Country ClubA 9-hole golf course with a pool...I BEGGED my parents to join just so I could swim in the pool and get junk food in the pro-shop...you could just put junk food on your parent's bill!!
- •Road trips to Gladewater to get boozeIt's a miracle we survived
- •Going to the LakeLast minute road trips to the lake, riding on friends' houseboats, and drinking cold beer
- •Catfish VillageTaking the "long" drive to Catfish Village for all-you-can eat fried catfish, cylindrical hush puppies, fries, pickled green tomatoes, coleslaw
- •Going to eat a fancy meal at Johnny Cace'sOk this restaurant is in Longview but it was such a THRILL to go to the big city to eat there, have a Shirley temple and pick a toy from the treasure chest
- •There's a million other things I can't recall right now!