HOW TO CAN SALMON
File this under: things most families don't do together
- 1.Acquire (a lot of) salmonWe can between 50-100 salmon each summer
- 2.Defin, behead and gut them all so it's just meatThey should look like this final product
- 3.Hack them into small pieces
- 4.Put the pieces into freshly washed cans
- 5.Salt your cans. We typically put half a tablespoon in each oneThis is a very very important step
- 6.Wipe all remaining liquid/fish guts off rim and sides of canMake the smallest person do this job because it's easiest. Graduating from can cleaner is a major coming of age moment.
- 7.Stick lids on top of them
- 8.Find yourself a kooky 85 year old inventor named Papa who invented a sealing device 60 years agoThis device will break down 3-5 times during the canning process.
- 9.Put your sealed cans into the giant kilnThis is also from the 1950s although not invented. It was purchased. Don't bring this up to the inventor. It upsets him.
- 10.Heat those babies up.Even though I've done this my whole life still not entirely certain what happens in there
- 11.Remove and ENJOY salmon all winter long.