WHAT I WANTED TO BE GROWING UP, CHRONOLOGICALLY
Starting from age 5
- •An artist.the generic kind with an easel, paint palette, and beret.
- •A dancer.modern hip hop dancer, specifically one of Janet Jackson's back up dancers.
- •A fly girl.A graduated variation of #2.
- •An Olympic long distance runner.I could run cross country and not die and I was also obsessed with the Olympics, so I thought it plausible.
- •A psychologist.During an intense yet incredibly ignorant teenager phase, I, briefly thought mental illness was cool, and wanted to somehow be part of it. This phase was initiated by my voracious interest in the novels 'I Never Promised You a Rose Garden' 'Franny and Zooey' and the play 'The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-moon Marigolds'. Years later when Girl, Interrupted came out in theatres I realized that I not only did not want to be a psychologist but that also I was an idiot.
- •A rock starCourtney Love
- •A photographerSally Mann
- •A writerElizabeth Wurtzel