If you love these books too, we can be friends. If we are already friends and you don't love these books, never tell me that, because I will never look at you the same way again.
- •The Secret History by Donna TarttIn a story that begins in media res, classics students at a small college in Vermont kill one of their own, and the reader spends the entire book learning why.
- •Code Name Verity by Elizabeth WeinA British spy is captured by the Nazis in occupied France. What seems like a typical WWII story evolves into the most heartfelt exploration of friendship I've ever seen. I will never not cry thinking about the line "Kiss me, Hardy!"
- •Till We Have Faces by CS LewisA reselling of the myth of Cupid and Psyche (😍) in the beautiful prose of CS Lewis, told from the perspective of Psyche's troubled sister.
- •House of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiNot a book that is really read as much as experienced. I read this about 15 years ago and still think about it frequently.
- •The Firebrand by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe book that began my life-long obsession with the Trojan War.
- •Bellwether by Connie WillisA researcher who studies fads jumps through ridiculous hoops to gain funding from her oversized corporation and accidentally finds love along the way.