MY FAVORITE BOOKS, CHRONOLOGICALLY
- •Roxaboxen"All you needed for a horse was a stick and some kind of bridle." Children invent a magical town in the desert, govern it themselves.
- •The Lord of the Rings"Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles." Bawled when this was over because I figured it was the best book of all time.
- •The Little Prince"Flowers are so inconsistent!" This book is pro-kid and pro-fox.
- •House of the Spirits"He maintained that magic, like cooking and religion, was a particularly feminine affair." Magic! Sex! Really learned a lot from Isabel Allende.
- •Weetzie Bat"Sometimes [she wore] old fifties' taffeta dresses covered with poetry written in glitter" More magic and lots of tantalizing descriptions of LA that made my first visit a let-down.
- •A Fine Balance"Lately you are brooding too much about rights. Give up this dangerous habit." India! Poverty! This is a great book but sad.