REGINA SPEKTOR'S NEW ALBUM, RANKED BY SHUFFLE AND ME
Seeing her next weekend! 😍 I'm listening to "Remember Us to Life", and my phone automatically defaults to shuffle. (I mostly like what iOS 10 has done to the music player, except where shuffle is located). I appreciate the order though, bc it's got songs in favorite and non-favorite halves. Bleeding Heart is a least fave, and I. STILL. LOVE. IT.
- •Bleeding Heart13- wasn't the biggest fan a while ago, but the more I hear this, the better it gets. And I can definitely appreciate the lyrics.
- •The Visit12- good. Not a favorite, but again relatable lyrics.
- •Black and White11- sweet, simple, melancholy melody.
- •Tornadoland10- my friend is convinced the little piano bit in the chorus is based upon some Copland theme. I can't hear it. Anyone?
- •Grand Hotel7- Perfect storytelling. Perfectly Regina.
- •End of Thought14- least favorite. Still good.
- •Small Bill$8- such a jam. Watch the video! I LOVE IT. https://youtu.be/EY22JySZ91Q
- •Older and Taller9- iTunes tells me this is a favorite? I don't get it. It's great, but definitely not the best.
- •Obsolete2 (here's where it switches and reverses.⬇️) THIS. SONG. Verrrry close second. Learning it currently. Maybe why I love it so much.
- •The One Who Stayed and the One Who Left1 ❤️
- •The Trapper and the Furrier3- this one is wonderful lyrically and musically with jarring piano and vocals 💯
- •The Light5- this one is simple and beautiful. I was struck with the poetry of these lyrics: I know the morning is wiser than the evening/ I know that all of life just happens in between... but of course, it is Regina after all.
- •Sellers of Flowers4- this has grown on me a lot. It's so evocative and very theatrical in some ways! More perfect imagery.
- •New Year6- this song is sweet and tender. Favorite part: She sets her alarm/ Five minutes to midnight/And wakes just in time/ To say her goodbyes/Thanking the old year for what it has brought her/ No mention of the things it took away.