Five Things About Strawberry Fields as We Remember John Lennon Today
On this date in 1980 John Lennon was murdered in front of the Dakota Apartments. Strawberry Fields is a living memorial to him in Central Park steps from his former home.
- 1.Strawberry Fields is an internationally recognized Garden of Peace.
- 2.The 'Imagine' mosaic was created by Italian craftsmen and given as a gift by the city of Naples.
- 3.Strawberry Fields is more than just the mosaic, it is a teardrop shaped landscape planted with plants from around the world.
- 4.Strawberry Fields was dedicated on October 9, 1985 which would have been Lennon's 45th birthday.
- 5.Strawberry Fields is named for one of Lennon's favorite songs, "Strawberry Fields Forever." The title comes from an orphanage in Liverpool where Lennon would go to play with the children. His aunt, who raised him, disapproved, be he insisted it was "nothing to get hung about."