First Major News Story I Remember Living Through As A Child
Inspired by @MarcusTee
- •The assassination of President John F. Kennedy, Friday, November 22, 1963, in Dallas at 12:30 CST.
- •Just that past June 5, the President had traveled to El PasoI don't remember that event at all. http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/Archives/JFKWHA-189-003.aspx
- •But that day in November, I do remember.It was a normal school day. As I was in the second grade, I ran home for lunch, and came back as soon I could to play. In El Paso, it was after 11:30 Mountain Standard Time.
- •Our school backed onto a busy street called Wedgewood.While playing with the ubiquitous red rubber ball, a boy missed a kick and the ball rolled into the street.
- •Unlike now, there was no high rock wall and the boy went into the street to collect the ball.Oddly, no teachers were on recess duty. But, evidently he was seen by one of the teachers inside the classroom building. She ran out as the boy got back to the yard, and was about to punt the ball.
- •The teacher ran up to him, and very angrily cried out. She yelled at him, at us all.Usually calm and sweet, she shook his shoulders and cried out,
- •"Our President has been killed! How can you be so careless with your life, to run into the street? You could have been hit by a car."We all stood silent and then cried.
- •On Monday, November 25, my mother and I watched the funeral being broadcast live on our black and white television.Over the weekend, we watched the broadcast of the President lying in state in the Capitol Rotunda. http://www.jfklibrary.org/JFK/JFK-in-History/November-22-1963-Death-of-the-President.aspx
- •According to the Daily Mail in 2013, the Kennedy family has placed the pink suit with the National Archivesit is being "Preserved in a climate-controlled vault outside of Washington, the suit and its accessories, still stained with JFK's blood, are being held by the National Archives under strict Kennedy family restrictions that it not be seen until at least 2103." http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2510064/Why-Jackie-Kennedys-blood-stained-pink-suit-hidden-public-view-2103.html
- •The pink suit worn by Jackie Kennedy is never exhibited.With the recent death of Bill Cunningham, fashion anthropologist and photographer for the New York Times, it was reported that he had helped FLOTUS Jackie Kennedy by dying a red Ballenciaga suit black for the funeral. At the time, he worked for Chez Ninon, the couture salon that had made the pink Chanel copy she wore in Dallas. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/26/rip-bill-cunningham-master-photographer-and-godfather-of-street-style.html
- •"All this will not be finished in the first one hundred days, nor in the first one thousand days, nor in the life of this administration. Nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin." Inaugural address, January 20, 1961