MY FAVORITE VIDEO GAMES OF THE MODERN ERA
- 1.Mass Effect 2Gameplay isn't as good as ME3, but the sense of exploration and character development really moved me. Going to visit crew members between missions was a reward.
- 2.DestinyA platform for fun more so than a game. Destiny is best when taken lightly. It is a game that survives by recognizing it is a game. It's self-awareness feels like the year 2015, where taking you too deep into a story or experience almost feels out of place in our distracted reality.
- 3.BioShock InfiniteThe philosophy and aesthetics propelled me through the game. Fun gameplay kept me happy along the way. I felt like I learned something from this game, although I have no idea what.
- 4.Call of Duty: Black OpsThe best zombies experience ever. Extremely replayable maps. Excellent cooperative action. Repetitive fun, where I always felt our team could do 'a little better'.
- 5.Mass Effect 3Fantastic gameplay. Fantastic anticipation throughout the game. Extremely fun final action sequence. A triumphant ending to the series, even if the ending choices didn't really represent the way you played your character.
- 6.Dead Space 1The aesthetics of this game made it so terrifying it was difficult to play. The use of lighting and sound gave me a feeling which I hold onto to this day. Really fun action and exciting use of shooter dynamics like the line gun and limbs being precision shots made this game unique and exciting.
- 7.Mass Effect 1Amazing storyline. Concise, focused and clear. My first freeze time action game, so I found it fascinating. Doesn't hold up to 2 or 3 in the realm of action. And the Mako, WTF?
- 8.Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2My first real game for modern consoles. I was blown away by the quick time events and how scenes like the airport made you feel truly disturbed as you played in first person.