Favorite Christmas Movies
These are the ones I must watch every holiday season or it just isn't this season. Limited it to five because I didn't want to write *that* much on Christmas, but shout out the Jim Carrey Grinch movie.
- •A Christmas StoryI've certainly seen this more than any other Christmas movie. The repetition has dimmed its glow somewhat, but it's still the best depiction of that pure, idealistic childhood yearning for the perfect gift
- •Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed In at the House of MouseHouse of Mouse was a low-key brilliant idea: Mickey and friends host a nightclub for Disney characters, providing a frame narrative for decades of accumulated Disney shorts. The Christmas-themed episode has become one of my must-watches every season. Funny and clever and nostalgic and magical
- •The Santa ClauseWeirdly the most accurate movie about divorce I've ever seen. There's also some great Christmas jokes
- •The Year Without a Santa ClausAlso love Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town, the Batman Begins of Santa Claus, but I decided to include only one Rankin-Bass special here. Every element is golden here, from the Snow Miser/Heat Miser duel to "I Believe in Santa Claus," the perfect adult response to the question of whether they believe in the big man.
- •A Charlie Brown ChristmasAbout as perfect as a piece of art can be, and only 25 minutes