TRAVEL ADVICE FOR ISTANBUL ➕OPEN LIST REQUEST➕
Crowdsourcing my European vacation has been going great so far! Let's keep it up, ListApp!
- •I'll be in Istanbul 4/3-4/7. Any advice for things to do/see/eat greatly appreciated!
- •Museum of InnocenceThis is a grand old house from the Ottoman days. Famed novelist Orhan Pamuk bought it, furnished it with stuff he found at antique stores, and then wrote a novel built around the house and the stuff. An amazing crazy art thing. Even if you skip it though, the streets and alleys around are full of odd junk shops where you can probably buy a Mogwai or a haunted clock or murder-doll. A good starting place for a ramble. http://bit.ly/1Dy1lmxSuggested by @helytimes
- •Nevizade SokakKind of a hidden street off of Istiklal but it's some of the best nightlife I've ever seen. Rows of double decker bars with outdoor seating and balconies that are consistently at capacity.
- •Prince's IslandTake a boat day trip to this magical land of bicycles.
- •Ciragan Palace for breakfastThis hotel is for the supremely wealthy but you can just go for the incredible buffet breakfast and sit by the river and wander around the grounds. Worth splurging.
- •Sulemaniye Bath HouseIf you want to feel like a sultanSuggested by @roseschlossberg
- •Aya/Hagia SophiaWhere Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck) conducts a clandestine meeting on his way to Iran in the 2012 film ARGO.Suggested by @helytimes
- •Pim's in Karakoy and Coffee at Twins roastersSuggested by @juliadub
- •Get your visa ahead of time! You can do it online!Literally no one mentioned this to me or warned me about it and I had been reading a lot of travel sites about Turkey. Waited all the way through the passport line only to be sent back to buy a €25 visa. They're not going to allow you to do this in person anymore starting in a few weeks though. Get your e-visa online! It's cheaper.
- •Don't fly Pegasus Airlines - pay extra for Turkish Airlines.We got Pegasus tickets because they were cheap, not realizing the airline is shoddy as hell. When we got to the airport they had cancelled our tickets without notifying us (claiming it was because it was charged to my credit card but I was Passenger #2). Forced me to re-book the tickets at triple the price in cash. They misspelled my new ticket. That took a half hour to fix. The delay caused our bags to miss the plane. I am currently in Turkey with no clothes. Also my flight was 90% babies.
- •Everything is cheap here except alcohol.I thought they were scamming me at the bars because I look like I'm from a Leni Riefenstahl movie but it actually turns out that alcohol is so highly taxed here that drinks cost double what they would in an average European city.
- •Istanbul ModernActually very cool to see the work of contemporary artists from Turkey. The history of modern art in Turkey was cool too, as it was heavily state-sponsored in an attempt to modernize/Westernize.