Having a Rescue Dog
I got my first dog 2 months after I graduated from college and 1 month before starting grad school. Lolololol
- •For the first two weeks, I had a very love/hate relationship with Brody.This 80 pound animal in my small apartment was like, entirely dependent on me, a stupid 21 year old who majored in Theology and now had to go to grad school because gainful employment was a pipe dream. But also, PUPPY.
- •But then I drove him 8 hours to spend a week with my family and we truly bonded.I could see him starting to trust me. Brody was fostered for over a year before I took him home, and he was returned twice. Homeboy was wary as fuck.
- •I took him to the vet and she told me he would live for another 10-12 years. 😱WAIT LIKE THIS GUY MIGHT MEET MY KIDS? I COULD HAVE KIDS IN 12 YEARS, MA'AM. I AM 21 HOW HAVE I MADE SUCH A PERMANENT COMMITMENT.
- •But then I rewatched Marley & MeBecause I hate myself. But also then snuggled Brodes for an hour and made him promise to never die. So far so good.
- •Sometimes I hate the term "dog mom."Excuse you, sir, dis my pet. Did not birth him.
- •But I get it.I have depression, anxiety, PTSD, and am taking 18 credits and work 20 hours a week. Some would say the responsibility of a dog is too much. I'd say the responsibility is what has kept me rooted here through all of it.
- •No matter what, this guy needs me.He needs me to get out of bed, even if I couldn't sleep all night because of new meds. He needs me to get outside and walk him every day.
- •So damn it, we're that cliche, "Who saved who," type deal.
- •Also he's super cute and a great cuddler.