LOS ANGELES GAY AND LESBIAN HISTORY TOUR
The National Trust for Historic Preservation, The One Institute and The Society of Architectural Historians funded a Gay and Lesbian History tour of Los Angeles in 2000. Here are the Downtown to Mid-City landmarks.
- •Offices of the Mattachine Society232 S. Hill St.
- •Maxwell's Bar (site of)Southeast corner of 3rd & Hill
- •Pershing Square5th & Olive
- •The Crown Jewel (site of)932 S. Hill St.
- •Dover Hotel and Waldorf Nightclub555-557 S. Main St.
- •Woman's Building1727 N. Spring St.
- •First Gay Community Center1612 Wilshire Blvd.
- •First Universalist Church8th & Crenshaw
- •Metropolitan Community Church22nd & Union
- •LACMA (1st Lesbian Kiss-In)5905 Wilshire Blvd.
- •MacArthur Park2330 W. 6th St.
- •Home of Morris Kight (Gay Liberation Front)1822 w. 4th St.
- •Geri's Bar666 S. Alvarado St.
- •Home of Harry Hay (Birthplace of Mattachine Society)2328 Cove Ave.
- •Black Cat bar3909 Sunset Blvd.
- •A Different Light bookstore (site of)4014 Santa Monica Blvd.