THOUGHTS BEFORE DOING A READING
(which this next one will be my first in 5+ years)
- •Not a big believer in readingsTraveling down a page of words puts you in a hypnagogic state; the act of reading a book is unique and intimate; as close to a mind-to-mind transfer as you can get. Reading aloud is performance, and a totally different thing. Seems like more of a cult of personality thing. But any way you slice it, a writer "live" isn't like a rock band.
- •Not a big fan of readingsMaybe it's because I've had to go to plenty of them. If the authors just spoke unscripted, they'd have my full attention. As soon as they start reading, my shoes become extremely interesting. Also, begin feeling trapped in my chair or spot on the wall.
- •Need to do it anywayDoesn't seem negotiable-- I already have agita over my level of involvement in the "literary community". There are days it feels like my only outward show of writerhood is that I say so on my profile.
- •So it will be shortHoping to find the shortest passage possible. Playing to the folks like me: "That guy was my favorite. The quick one."
- •And I might need a cocktail firstI believe I have a flask here somewhere for just such an occasion!