THINGS THAT SEEM MORE IMPORTANT THAN HURRICANE IRMA OR WHATEVER IMPENDING DOOM IS NIGH
I have recently relocated to Orlando for school and Hurricane Irma is imminent. AND YET, the world turns on and I know my priorities. Last li.st till the storm blows over; I'll only be updating on Twitter once the power goes out.
- •The Dream Act.The worry that we students felt in the past two days about uncertain futures is how Dreamers will feel long after the storm is over.
- •Hurricane Harvey relief and Hurricane Irma relief NOT in Orlando.It shouldn't be too bad here, I hope.
- •Title IX.My junior year English class speech hinged on this legislature. Students' rights to a safe education are NOT AN OPTION, they are a necessity.
- •Will on TNTI hope the power doesn't go out so I can finally catch up on my Shakespeare trash.
- •All the lectures I'm missing.SO MANY LECTURES CANCELED.
- •My grandma.We talk every Friday and today she told me about escaping the war (WWII, that is) and I taught her how to use Google, or at least I tried to teach her over the phone. Her knee isn't doing so well either, so hopefully that gets fixed.
- •World War II stories.See above. Escaping from militarized oppression is nothing compared to the chance of rain.
- •Google.Also see above. She learned to use Translate! If only she could remember.
- •Whitewashing in Hollywood.Kenneth Lowe's article includes a quote stating that Asians are hard to cast because "they're not very expressive." WELL WELL WELL WHO INVENTED EMOJIS AND WHO IS LOSING MONEY FOR THEIR ANTIQUATED IDEALS??? (See https://amp.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/09/bias-does-not-come-out-with-the-whitewash.html)