Savannah Film Fest Movies 2016
Love this city, this Film Fest. 2nd year we have stayed for the full 8 days.
- •1. ARRIVALAmazing, brilliant, beautiful. Nice sometimes to be totally surprised by a film that has had very few previews. Knew little about this film but loved it despite the fact that I was physically super uncomfortable.(Oh, Trustees Theater!) Beautifully written, Incredible story and performances.
- •2. LionI cried, I laughed, I cried. Beautiful film. Dev Patel is also beautiful. Only criticism had to do with Nicole Kidman's wigs that were a little jarring.
- •3. La La LandOk, so it is probably more of a tie for 2nd. Amazing musical. Also made me cry. Love this director who reinvents, changes the genre and never settles for what is expected. Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone shine.
- •4. JackieNatalie Portman's best performance and such an interesting take on the whole JFK assassination and aftermath. Another unexpected gem.
- •5. TowerMy favorite documentary. Director Keith Maitland weaves animation, actual footage and interviews with survivors and heroes from the mass shooting at the University of Texas at Austin in 1966. Devastating, insightful and surprisingly hopeful. The director chose to focus on the stories of the survivors and victims but not the shooter. This movie has stayed with me.
- •6. 20th Century WomenLOVED it! Takes place in 1979 and felt real & true. Hilarious, artsy, and well written, conceived. Loved Annette Benning, Greta Gerwig, Elle Fanning and Billy Crudup.
- •7. MoonlightIncredibly brave, poetic, sad. Beautiful performances. Such a fan of Mahershala Ali.
- •8. Manchester By the SeaIncredible performances, great script, well directed but depressing as hell. Not a movie I would choose to watch again.
- •9. OJ: Made in AmericaIncredible docuseries, should be in it's own separate category. Great insight into not just OJ but our society.
- •10. PatersonJim Jarmusch, Adam Driver, quietly powerful in it's simplicity. Poetic. Literally.
- •11. LovingBeautiful. Incredible story, moving performances and surprise appearance from Nick Kroll! Another hard to believe things like this were still happening at the time I was born.
- •12. Other PeopleHate to see Mollie Shannon with cancer but this movie is such a loving, funny. Super sad tribute to the writer's mother. Strong performances.
- •13. Bleed for ThisFantastic performance by Miles Teller and I now kinda love Vinny Paz.
- •14. Miss Sharon JonesDocumentary about an amazing woman and now I know her music😊
- •15. Trespass Against UsMichael Fassbender and Mad Eye Moody. Strong performances but not my favorite.
- •16. Me Before YouSam Claflin, Emilia Clarke, made me cry❤️️
- •17. Animated ShortsOverall, excellent with a few mehs. Second to None won the competition and it was incredible😊
- •18. ChristineStellar performances but thought it could have been edited a little more.