Lessons I've Learned From My Coworkers
This is a list that I wrote months ago, around my last few weeks of my two and a half year run in a hospital laboratory. I'm going to miss these people a lot.
- 1.Cam: don't hesitate to laugh at anything and everything, or to make dirty jokes, or to dance to anything at anytime. This was right before she physically dragged me to the dance floor. Her favorite genres are ballroom and electronic.
- 2.Kay: always say good morning to people when you first see them, no matter how busy you are or how much you feel like you have to force it some days (i.e. when it's 6 a.m. and you rolled out of bed 20 minutes ago and there's already a pile of shit on your desk, sometimes literal shit)
- 3.Nicole: it is SO ok to keep your private life private. It doesn't mean you don't have a good relationship with your coworkers.
- 4.Brandie: always try to maintain your standards, even when it's sooo much easier not to. And don't ask about her different hair dos.
- 5.Nancy: choose a subject and master it.
- 6.Tien: enthusiastically take on problems and you will be seen as a leader. A few days ago she said this sentence for the first time since I've known her: "I have too much on my plate, I can't take that on".
- 7.Pat: always give people the benefit of the doubt. You never know what they are going through.
- 8.Ollo: "Life. Is. Beautiful." His words, every day when he saunters in to work. And so many other lessons, told in long and seemingly pointless (until the end, when everything comes together) stories. Ollo is truly one of a kind. This is him, with my hair as a wig.
- 9.Nikki: being true to yourself is the bomb. Even if sometimes you drive people crazy, you will still be happy as a clam.
- 10.Dr Ledet: dress impeccably.
- 11.Michelle: have fun at work!
- 12.Brady: Attitude is EVERYTHING. Everyone knows what they know, and we all have something to learn from each other.
- 13.Sydra: Don't talk shit about your coworkers. It's really hard, but don't. Everything is so much cleaner and easier when you stay out of the drama.
- 14.Charles: Energy is contagious.
- 15.Karen: work hard at being positive.
- 16.Stephanie: put yourself in other people's shoes. If you limit your complaints, those complaints you choose to vocalize will be taken more seriously.
- 17.So many more people. I guess I can add more later?