Statements to prepare for when you're a brown immigrant married a white American male.
Yes I have a green card through marriage. No I'm not a scary, mooching immigrant.
- •"So did you get married for the green card?"Well, I got married and then I got a green card, to be with my life partner. Is that what you're asking? Or are you low key asking if I'm a gold digger?
- •"Your English is so good!"I know. I grew up in Singapore. Where the national language is, you guessed it, English.
- •"Why aren't you applying to become a citizen?"Marrying an American doesn't suddenly remove my rich, important cultural background and heritage. Also, idk if you've noticed, but y'all aren't exactly making citizenship that appealing rn, no shade.
- •"See, that's the problem with our country. We let people come in, and take advantage of living here and all the benefits of being American, without actually contributing."ICYDK, green card holders pay taxes. Also, while we're talking about benefits, idk if you guys are doing such a good job taking care of your own peeps right now. Just saying.
- •Well, if you don't want to become a citizen you should just go back homeI'm sure Native Americans feel the same way about you.