Why the Pledge of Allegiance Sucks
I'm American and I 💘 America etc etc but this is starting to piss me off k
- •"Under God."
- •It needs to go.
- •While it is truethat the United States was perhaps built upon Christian beliefs
- •And at one point in time,the phrase was used to unite the country (I.e. the Cold War)
- •All it does in modern day America is hinder unification.
- •People in our country span across a huge array of belief systems—Judaism, Catholicism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Atheism, Agnosticism, among so many others.
- •The current pledge containing that phrase almost serves to discredit those who don't believe in an almighty "God."
- •This is a terrible thing.
- •For a country who served as a beacon for religious freedom,
- •For a country who works so tirelessly to keep a separation between religion and state,
- •You'd think someone would have removed this utterly imposing phrase by now.
- •If the pledge truly seeks to unite all people in the country,it should leave race, religion, sexuality, and gender, among other things, very far away from it.
- •It should bring everyone together, and it currently can't—When you only mention a handful of beliefs among a sea of hundreds in a national recitation, you're excluding others and hindering unification altogether.
- •To be welcoming to people of all kinds, as America is traditionally known to be,
- •It must remove this dividing phrase.