IT'S BEEN AWHILE AND THINGS AREN'T GREAT IN ONE REGARD
This is kind of heavy. You've been warned.
- •August 2016 my mom was diagnosed with a grade 3 anaplastic astrocytoma.This is essentially an inoperable malignant brain tumor...aka brain cancer.
- •I had been around people with cancer before and thought I knew what to expect.Spoiler alert: you never know what to expect.
- •The first few months weren't that bad.Mom did chemo and radiation. She lost her hair but otherwise was ok, albeit weak.
- •Then January.We started noticing a pretty significant decline in her health. She went from walking independently to using a cane, to using a walker and now is wheelchair bound.
- •The tumor is growing. It didn't respond to treatment.So they are starting a different kind.
- •But her body isn't stable enough to do the treatments.
- •In the last 6 months she's had:A massive seizure. A stroke. Spinal meningitis. A fractured ankle. Blood clots. Pulmonary embolii. E.Coli. A massive hematoma.
- •Currently she's lost most of the use of her left arm and leg and due to her current issue (hematoma pressing on her nerves), she's unable to use her right arm much.
- •It's so hard to be around her when she's in pain and upset.
- •I know that if my mom gets better our relationship will be totally different.
- •I just want her suffering to end.
- •But I want her to get better.
- •Sorry this is so heavy. This is my only real outlet...other social media is riddled with nosy people and family.
- •She's been to every major hospital in Charlotte in the last 4 months.We are currently trying to figure out where she needs to go upon discharge from rehab. We can't take care of her medical needs at this point.