SOUTHERN FOODS, RANKED
As a native Southerner, I'm obvs qualified to make this list. This is ranked by majority opinion.
- •10. Pecan PieThe gooier, the better.
- •9. Biscuits and GravyNone of that brown gravy mess. It must be white sausage gravy.
- •8. Collard GreensPrep is key, here. Lots of vinegar.
- •7. Sweet TeaThough I don't love it so much, it's prevalence outside of the Southeastern US would indicate its popularity.
- •6. GritsBest with cheese and butter, IMO. My coastal brethren enjoy it with shrimp.
- •5. Banana PuddingMade with custard and not pudding mix. Never use a mix!
- •4. Pulled Pork BarbecueI should really do a whole list for barbecue in the South. Whether it be mustard based, vinegar based or tomato based, it's all good!
- •3. Assorted beans, prepared with fatback or hamBlack eyed peas, green beans, Lima beans, butter beans, etc.
- •2. OkraBest fried. Good sautéed.
- •1. Fried ChickenOnce you have genuine cast-iron fried buttermilk dipped chicken you will never be satisfied by chain restaurant fried chicken again. Trust me.