18 things I learned at 18
I learned a lot this past year (as I'm sure most people do when they're 18) and seeing as my golden birthday is Sunday (ahhhh!) I thought I would publish this list now.
- •Money spent traveling is money well spent.I'm sorry I talk about Europe so much, really I am, but it was the time of my life.
- •Never ever judge people based on first impressions.It's amazing how much you can learn about a person when you take the time to get to know them.
- •It's okay to admit when you need help.Often times people will be more than willing to help you, and everyone needs help every now and then.
- •Getting a job is worth it.I wish I would have learned this earlier.
- •It's okay to cry every now and then.I hate crying (especially in front of people) but ignoring your emotions isn't going to help you.
- •Making friends isn't difficult if you put yourself out there.Sometimes people might think you're mean if you don't speak to them.
- •If you know there's a problem, fix it before it's too late.Ignoring problems doesn't fix them, but it can make matters worse.
- •Always know how much money is in your bank account.Yikes
- •Don't be afraid to change your mind because you thought you had your life planned out.I thought I had my life planned out until I was 30. Then I changed my major and prayed. Knowing God has a plan really helps.
- •Not all boys are scum.I would like to thank first VanDellen. I love each and every one of you. Thank you.
- •You should always rinse out your travel cups as soon as possible.Do you know what moldy coffee smells like? Because I do.
- •It's extremely difficult to help people who don't want to be helped.I tried and tried and tried to help someone who just ended up leaving. Sometimes it's best to let people go.
- •I like to shop by myself.Target. Kroger. Whatever.
- •If you want to keep your friends you have to put in the work.Something as simple as snapchat can save friendships.
- •Sometimes, even if you study for hours on end, you will still fail.Frick calculus man.
- •If you really want something, go out and get it!I accomplished some things this year that I didn't think I could, but I just tried and surprised myself.
- •If you're sick, don't just wait for it to pass.I thought I had a cold. Turns out it was mono and I waited until it got really bad to go to the doctor and it took extra long to go away.
- •Dry cereal is a great snack.Honeycomb is my favorite I think.