IF I HAD A MOMA EXHIBIT
I don't know if this already exists. I just made it up so I'm sorry if it's real and I'm just ignorant.
- •I might need more than just an exhibit for it because it would get pretty big
- •It would be called "Modern Waste"
- •There is a coffee shop at the entrance to the exhibitGo ahead, buy your cappuccino or whatever.
- •Many pieces are collections of trash carefully fished from bins around the United States, presented as "art"
- •Slowly, as you proceed through the exhibit, the installations become more striking.
- •The art has a less abstract form, the Modern Waste becomes a statement on what is valued in today's society
- •Items that represent justice and equality (like the scales, for example) are tossed upside-down among heaps of garbage bags
- •Items representing labor and resolve are scattered among old pizza boxes
- •Items representing ingenuity and ethics are shredded to pieces, burning visibly in an incinerator
- •And at the end of the exhibit, YOU contribute to Modern Waste:
- •An enormous pile of old coffee cups occupies the corner of the room right beside the exit. We're talking a 20-ft high pile.
- •Remember that coffee you got at the beginning of the exhibit?
- •Your name is written on the cup. And we will ask you to throw that cup into the pile of other people's cups!
- •You will leave realizing that you have been stripped of your individuality and you have, in fact, unwittingly become a piece of MODERN WASTE