My Favorite Christmas Movies
Not including the Hallmark Channel and ABC Family/Freeform movies, which may warrant their own list
- •White ChristmasI watch this at least four times every Christmas. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.
- •ElfDelightfully quotable and one of the best "recent" holiday movies
- •National Lampoon's Christmas VacationMy husband's family is so obsessed with this movie that my BIL almost didn't name his daughter Grace because he thought we'd all quote this movie whenever we heard her name
- •A Charlie Brown ChristmasI grew up in MN, close to where Charles Schulz grew in, so Peanuts has been a part of my life from the start. "Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography" by David Michaelis is an excellent book for any Schulz fans out there.
- •Love ActuallyGive me Emma Thompson and Colin Firth any day of the week, my friends. I honestly consider this more of a romantic comedy set at Christmas vs. a Christmas movie, but it's still grand.
- •How the Grinch Stole ChristmasThe Jim Carrey version is great, don't get me wrong, but I love the classic.
- •The Muppet Christmas CarolMy favorite version of A Christmas Carol.
- •Rudolph the Red-Nosed ReindeerI hunt the TV guide as soon as possible to make sure I can record these when they first air so I can watch them again and again during Christmas.
- •Home AloneI always loved the pranks that Kevin orchestrated, but also, how the hell did he come up with those? It's not like he had access to the Internet to come up with this shit. What was this child learning?
- •Santa Claus is Coming to TownThe idea of Santa as a ginger warms my heart for some reason
- •Frosty the Snowman"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"
- •It's A Wonderful LifeAs I get older, I love this movie more and more. I still can't watch the scene where the uncle accidentally loses the money though. It kills me every time.
- •A Christmas StoryWe have a leg lamp ornament for our tree and it's a favorite of mine. This movie is so delightfully nonsensical.