AUTHORS WE SHOULD STOP GIVING SO MUCH CREDENCE TO
The one thing my BA in literature qualifies me for is writing this list.
- •William FaulknerDid his publisher dock him a percentage of royalties for every period he used or what? More importantly, fuck A Rose for Emily!
- •John SteinbeckWhy are we, as a society, still giving so much exposure to a man who pretty definitely would have been some kind of baby-murdering serial killer if he hadn't been a novelist?
- •The BrontësThey were a) far less feminist than they're made out to be; & b) super fucked up (WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THE BRONTËS). If we're going to keep studying them, we need to at least acknowledge that.
- •James JoyceLearn how to use quotation marks, James! Also, has anyone considered that maybe Ulysses, rather than being 'incredibly dense', is just a bunch of pretentious gibberish? A book that takes years of intense study to understand is frankly just not worth it. At the very least, your book should be accessible to academics. If even they have trouble understanding it, you may be a genius, but you're also a bad writer. Clarity trumps pretension.
- •Ralph Waldo EmersonOkay, yes, he influenced a ton of people, but if I could offer a counterargument: Shut up, Ralph!
- •J.D. Salinger@jessee put this better than I could: https://li.st/l/1GDYSHKNFi2Z6hkJzVeC0k (see #6)
- •Joseph ConradWe need to stop using the "he's separate from the narrator" excuse to justify blatantly racist literatureSuggested by @aprilgrace