WHY MYSTIQUE IS THE BEST SUPERHERO
One of our pastors this past Sunday told us that he & his son disagree about who's the best superhero: he thinks it's Batman, his son thinks it's Spider-Man. Obviously, they're both wrong. The best superhero is Mystique & I can prove it. (Last Stand doesn't count, kk?)
- •"But Mystique isn't a superhe-" HOW AM I MAKING THIS LIST THEN
- •Her origin story/mutation is a metaphor for being a womanAs Raven, Mystique has to spend every waking moment censoring herself & being someone she's not to make the people around her comfortable (& the fact that this was probably unintentional makes it even better). Meanwhile, Batman is a metaphor for privileged rich white dudes being sad because their lives are only mostly perfect instead of totally perfect, which is a stupid metaphor nobody needs. Spider-Man is a metaphor for... puberty, probably? & that's only interesting if you're pubescent.
- •She doesn't have a 'no killing' ruleThere is debate over whether one can be a hero if one kills, to which I say a) hundreds of innocent people died b/c Batman refused to kill The Joker, & b) if you care about due process so much YOU SHOULDN'T BE A VIGILANTE. Sorry dude, you can't champion the system if you're constantly gonna work outside it. You either believe in it or you don't. Pick a side. Commit or quit. (I don't support the death penalty irl, but I'm also not a vigilante, so.)
- •She has the coolest, most useful superpowerShe can impersonate anyone, anywhere, from their looks to their voice to their fingerprints (even though that makes no sense, tbh, but who cares? superheroes!). She could singlehandedly bring down governments without ever picking up a weapon! If there's a disaster, I know who I want on my team!
- •She doesn't need weapons to be lethalShe knows her body & just how to use it. She can take down entire rooms of armed men & pin a man to a wall with her foot!! HER FOOT
- •She follows her own pathYeah, she & Magneto are a team, but she's not afraid to go her own way when they disagree. She does whatever it takes to protect the people she cares about - whether that means being part of the Brotherhood, the X-Men, forming her own team, or going it alone.
- •She makes no apologies for her identity & encourages others to accept themselves too'Why not stay in disguise all the time? You know, look like everyone else.' 'Because we shouldn't have to.' 👏🏿👏🏻👏🏾👏🏼👏🏽👏
- •In conclusion: TEAM MYSTIQUE FOREVER