REAL WAYS THE VICTORIANS WERE HISTORY'S CRAZIEST PARTY ANIMALS
When you think of the Victorian era you probably picture sexually repressed spinsters and sad little orphans. But the reality was much different, far stranger, and a treasure trove of "let's have a crazy weekend!!!!!!" thought-starters.
- •They partied with pharaohs.Today, having an "Egyptian-themed" party means extra eyeliner, "pyramid-shaped" tortilla chips, and a Bangles CD on repeat. In the Victorian era, party organizers took authenticity more seriously. It just wasn't a good time unless you and all of your guests unwrapped a real mummified corpse, freshly pilfered from Egyptian tombs: http://goo.gl/xqPXwE
- •They were raging sex fiends.It's true that Victorians weren't exactly into halter tops and assless pants. In public, that is. In private, they made up for it by producing extraordinary amounts of porn. And not just any porn, but the type of porn that would make the most seasoned Internet deviant blush and cover their table legs. We're talking incest, rape, pedophilia, orgies, BDSM ... and that's the normal stuff: http://goo.gl/2m1uTk
- •They took death selfies.When a family member passed away, the Victorians had ‘memento mori’ photos taken of the dearly departed. These eerie shots served as grim keepsakes, reminders of the inevitability of death -- and fashionable home furnishings.: http://goo.gl/PAclAc
- •They practically invented crossdressing.Thomas Boulton and Frederick Park (or, rather, Fanny and Stella) were cross-dressers and almost certainly gay at a time when it was very much illegal. And unlike Oscar Wilde, they didn't try to hide either of these things.: http://goo.gl/rrF0E9
- •They wore green so bright it killed them.Victorian England loved “Scheele's Green”, a popular dye that stained everything the color of a Ninja Turtle. Scheele's Green was used on everything -- clothing, accessories, toys, candles, curtains, and wallpaper were all considered in vogue if they carried that green hue. However, the primary ingredient in the dye is arsenic, which as some of you may be aware is a potent poison. People were literally coating their clothes, toys, and walls with an organ-liquefying metalloid: http://goo.gl/3EqTf