TOPICS MY FAMILY REFUSES TO SHY AWAY FROM
The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. My family will talk about literally anything, which is (knockonwood) why we work.
- •PassionsFrom powerlifting and writing to racism and sex trafficking, whether our interests intersect or not, we are always willing to have conversations about what the other cares about.
- •Mental HealthMy brother has been going through severe depression for over a year and a half now. I am so happy that he has been able to talk about it with our family and that my mom ENCOURAGED him to go to therapy and take medication. We also NEVER hide it from the outside world because we believe it's nothing to be ashamed of. I have South Asian friends who refuse to tell their parents about their illnesses and otherwise, have seen parents who like to pretend everything's okay. 😒
- •ReligionMy brother is Atheist???/searching??? while my parents and I are very devout Hindus. We are all respectful and understanding of my brother's decision, and he is of ours.
- •SexI know, this one is a shocker for most. While we don't get into specifics, we are open in talking about sexual desires. Smut fan fiction, porn, whatever. My mom says she would be worried about me and my brother if we never had any desires! 😂 She told me at the age of 15 that I was going to have sex before marriage. (I know this isn't a big deal for most of you, but INDIAN MOMS DO NOT EVER SAY THIS!)
- •LearningWe all have a lot to learn from each other. My parents move with the times and understand that my brother and I are living different lives than they did.
- •Basically, we talk about literally everything because my parents are the best. 😁